All assignments must be completed in order to receive a “Pass” for the class. Exceptions are made only in the most extreme of circumstances. All homework is due the following week, unless explicitly stated otherwise!
Bootcamp Day 1 HW (assigned 8/22)
- Draft your section syllabus. Bring a hard copy with you to class.
- Draft your first day lesson plan. Write out your specific learning objectives.
- Prepare some board work responses to the list of questions we gave out. Aim to be able to answer the questions in 2-3 minutes.
Bootcamp Day 2 HW (assigned 8/23):
- Have great first sections!
Class 3 HW (assigned 8/31):
- Glance over everyone's teaching times on the main page of the Wiki and see who you might want to pair up with for section visits. Those not teaching or GSIing lab, you will join another duo and visit one of their sections.
- Start keeping your weekly teaching logs.
- If you have not taught yet, have great first sections!
- Write a self-reflection piece: 2-3 paragraphs on how you envision your teaching experience to be this semester. How do you believe students best learn? What techniques do you hope to incorporate in your teaching practices? What do you hope your students learn? How do you anticipate your sections to be? What is your `vision' for your classroom? We will collect these next week and return to them at the end of the semester.
Class 4 HW (assigned 9/7):
- Draft a full length quiz and detailed grading rubric for the quiz. Bring two copies to class next week.
- Start thinking about who to pair up with for section visits next week.
Class 5 HW (assigned 9/14):
- Find a partner with whom you will visit each other's sections. Aim to complete both visits and meet up for discussion by 9/28. Make sure to complete the Peer Visitation Worksheet.
Class 6 HW (assigned 9/21):
- Write a midsemester evaluation and administer them in your sections in the next couple of weeks (9/26-10/5). After reviewing your students' responses, write up a ~1 paragraph summary of the evaluation (What did you learn? What changes might you make?). Bring this summary and a copy of your (blank) evaluation to class on 10/5. If you are not teaching section-based classes, you are encouraged to talk to the Professor of the course and see if it's possible to adminster a midsemester evaluation for the class as a whole. If you are not teaching at all this semester, please draft a general midsemester evaluation (one that you could use in future semesters), but you will not be administering it.
- If you haven't done so already, visit your peer's section. Meet up for discussion and complete the Peer Visitation Worksheet by 9/28 (next week!).
Class 7 HW (assigned 9/28):
- You should be administering your midsemester evaluations in your sections this week. After reviewing your students' responses, write up a ~1 paragraph summary of the evaluation. Bring this summary and a copy of your (blank) evaluation to class on 10/5 (next week!). If you are teaching a lab course, you are encouraged to talk to the Professor of the course and see if it's possible to adminster a midsemester evaluation for the class as a whole. If you are not teaching at all this semester, please draft a general midsemester evaluation (one that you could use in future semesters), but you will not be administering it.
- You will be video-taped by one of the 375 GSIs sometime next week (10/3-10/7)!
Class 8 HW (assigned 10/5):
- Section video-taping is happening this week. We will send you a link to your section video by the end of the week. Watch it, and complete the Section Video Recap Worksheet (due 10/12, next week!).
- Bring your lesson plan notebooks to 375 next week.
- Read a paper on current research in education and answer questions. More details are at the bottom of the Class 8 page.
Class 9 HW (assigned 10/12):
Class 10 HW (assigned 10/19):
- Draft your teaching philosophy statement. Bring a copy to class next week.
Class 11 HW (assigned 10/26):
- Reminder: No class the next two weeks!
- Edit your teaching statement using feedback from your peers. Put a copy of your final version in Carina's mailbox by 11/9.