To quote from the original Movie Night charter:
Movie Night is organized by and for friends and members of the UC Berkeley Astronomy Department. Its mission is to present movies few have seen, but all will enjoy. This mission is often ignored, but its spirit always lives on.
This year, Movie Night is being organized by Casey Stark (
email@example.com). It takes place every Tuesday at 6:30 PM in Campbell 261, barring announced exceptions. Each week's selection is announced in advance; contact Casey to find out what it is.
Movie Night is coordinated via an email list. You can subscribe either by asking Adam to put you on or by visiting this page. The only traffic should be the movie announcements, probably over the weekend, and reminder emails on Tuesdays.
Movie Night has a standing offer that anyone who's willing to arrange the showing for a given week gets to pick the movie. Arranging things is just a matter of sending out an announcement, getting food, and of course obtaining the movie. Not too hard, so take advantage!
Here's a list of movies that might be worth watching. If you have any suggestions, use The Power Of The Interweb and edit the wiki page with your ideas. The more you attend Movie Night, the more likely your suggestion is to be heeded …
- Hands on a Hardbody (not on NetFlix yet)
- Hoop Dreams (basketball season)
- Sansho the Bailiff / Sansho dayu : “I have seen 'Sansho' only once, a decade ago, emerging from the cinema a broken man but calm in my conviction that I had never seen anything better; I have not dared watch it again, reluctant to ruin the spell, but also because the human heart was not designed to weather such an ordeal.” – Anthony Lane, The New Yorker, 9/11/06.
If we ever run out of suggestions, well, here are a few things I've always wanted to see:
- The Towering Inferno (last screened in 2001)
- The Fly (1986)
- The Last Temptation of Christ (last screened 2000)
- Army of Shadows / L'Armeé des ombres
- To Live / Ikiru (1952)
- Lawrence of Arabia (1962; last screened 2004)
- The Seven Deadly Sins / Les sept péchés capitaux (1962)
- Band of Outsiders / Bande à Part
- Three Colors: Red / Trois couleurs: rouge (or White or Blue)
- a film in The Decalogue / Dekalog
- Chungking Express / Chung hing sam lam
- Tokyo Story / Tokyo monogatari
- A Touch of Zen / Hsia nu
- Kandahar / Safar e Ghandehar
- Ong-Bak : The Thai Warrior
- Diabolique / Les Diaboliques
- The Bicycle Thief / Ladri di biciclette (last screened 2003)
- Solaris / Solyaris (1972)
The inagural Movie Night movie was The Last Supper. It was repeated for the restarting of Movie Night in 2006.
Also, certain movies opening in theaters might be worth seeing; including anything that stars Daniel-Day Lewis.
Movie Night also occationally gets taken over by its evil twin, Bad Movie Night, for screenings of such gems as Highway to Hell, McBain, Maximum Overdrive, or The Warriors. These screenings usually involve a more select announcement list, a big living room, and beer.