Table of Contents
Graduate Student Postdoc Seminar
Location: 131A New Campbell Hall!!!
Time: Fridays @ 4:00pm
Spring 2015 Schedule
To sign up for/view the Spring 2015 Schedule, Contact Isaac (ishivvers@berkeley) or Lauren (lweiss@berkeley).
- 2.13: Jennifer Barnes
- 2.20: Co-Working / Skill Sharing / Free Beer
- 2.27: Francois Foucart
- 3.06: Faculty Candidate Ranking Meeting
- 3.13: Co-Working / Skill Sharing / Free Beer
- 3.20: Co-Working / Skill Sharing / Free Beer
- 4.03: Co-Working / Skill Sharing / Free Beer
- 4.10: Co-Working / Skill Sharing / Free Beer
- 4.17: Co-Working / Skill Sharing / Free Beer
- 4.24: Isaac Shivvers (practice qual)
- 5.01: Co-Working / Skill Sharing / Free Beer
- 5.08: Sedona Price (practice qual)
Past Seminars: Fall 2014, Spring 2014, Fall 2013, Spring 2013, Fall 2012, Spring 2012, Fall 2011, Spring 2011, Fall 2010, Spring 2010, Fall 2009, Spring 2009, Fall 2008, Spring 2008, Fall 2007, Spring 2007, Fall 2006
Description / Motivation
- GSPS is a place where students and postdocs can practice giving talks. The topics of these talks can be anything from their own research (either completed or commencing), career advancement and advice (usually from postdocs), pedagogy talks, practice qualification exam talks, job talks, etc.
- GSPS meets weekly; we aim to have one graduate student and one postdoc talk each week.
- Talks should be ~20 minutes + 5 minutes for questions.
- Please emphasize background material.
- No faculty allowed.
- GSPS is a good place to…
- promote community between students and postdocs
- practice speaking and discussing your research
- feel comfortable asking lots of questions
- learn about topics outside your own research
- impart practical knowledge: job search, telescope allocation committees, diversity, etc.
- drink beer: free if you are speaking today, $1 if you are speaking this semester, $2 otherwise
- If you would like feedback on your presentation, the organizers would be happy to take notes and discuss it with you afterwards (and/or ask other audience members to do so).
Organizers: Lauren Weiss (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Freeke van de Voort (please contact us if you have questions)
Thanks for participating in GSPS!
Fall 2014 Schedule
|Date||Slot 1||Talk Title||Slot 2||Talk Title|
|5 Sep, 2014||Ann-Marie Madigan||Gas cloud destruction in the Galactic center|
|12 Sep, 2014|
|19 Sep, 2014||Mikhail Belyaev||Why drinking tea reminds me of magnetic reconnection|
|26 Sep, 2014||Francois|
|03 Oct, 2014||Moving to HFA!||No GSPS||x||x|
|10 Oct, 2014||Rodrigo Fernandez|
|17 Oct, 2014|
|24 Oct, 2014||Isaac Shivvers||Melanie Veale|
|31 Oct, 2014||Who do I work for? Grad student meeting||x||x||HALLOWEEN!|
|7 Nov, 2014|
|14 Nov, 2014||Jesse Nims|
|21 Nov, 2014||Katherine de Kleer||Practice Qual||x||x|
|28 Nov, 2014||Thanksgiving!||No GSPS||x||x|
|5 Dec, 2014||Josiah Schwab||Practice for Talk at UCSC||Davide Martizzi||Bottom-up modeling of supernova feedback|
|12 Dec, 2014||Postdocs Practice Holiday Play!||x||x||x|