Location: B1 Hearst Field Annex
Time: Fridays @ 4:00pm
- GSPS is a place where students and postdocs can practice giving talks. The topics of these talks can be anything from their own research (either completed or commencing), career advancement and advice (usually from postdocs), pedagogy talks, practice qualification exam talks, job talks, etc.
- GSPS meets weekly; we aim to have one graduate student and one postdoc talk each week.
- Talks should be ~20 minutes + 5 minutes for questions.
- Please emphasize background material.
- No faculty allowed.
- GSPS is a good place to…
- promote community between students and postdocs
- practice speaking and discussing your research
- feel comfortable asking lots of questions
- learn about topics outside your own research
- impart practical knowledge: job search, telescope allocation committees, diversity, etc.
- drink beer: free if you are speaking today, $1 if you are speaking this semester, $2 otherwise
- If you would like feedback on your presentation, the organizers would be happy to take notes and discuss it with you afterwards (and/or ask other audience members to do so).
Organizers: Nathan Roth and Lauren Weiss (please contact us if you have questions)
Thanks for participating in GSPS!
|Date||Slot 1||Talk Title||Slot 2||Talk Title|
|24 Jan, 2014||Andreu Font||Cosmology with the Lyman alpha forest|
|31 Jan, 2014||Dyas Utomo||How Dead are Quiescent Galaxies? A Star Formation Perspective|
|7 Feb, 2014||Isaac Shivvers||M82 Supernova Discussion|
|14 Feb, 2014|
|21 Feb, 2014|
|28 Feb, 2014||Kaylan Burleigh||Discussion of accretion modelling|
|7 Mar, 2014||Nick Hand|
|14 Mar, 2014||Isaac Shivvers||Prospective Visit Q&A||pie!!!|
|21 Mar, 2014||Adrian Liu|
|4 Apr, 2014||Athena Stacy|
|11 Apr, 2014||Lauren Weiss||Practice qual||x||x|
|18 Apr, 2014||Francesca Fornasini||Practice qual||x||x|
|25 Apr, 2014||Kaylan Burleigh||Rebekah Dawson|
|2 May, 2014||Aaron Lee|