Graduate Student Postdoc Seminar
Location: 131A Campbell Hall!!!
Time: Fridays @ 4:00pm
Organizers: Isaac Shivvers (ishivvers@berkeley)
Fall 2015 Schedule
|Date||Slot 1||Slot 2|
|4 Sep||Isaac Shivvers: GSPS discussion and department community night|
|11 Sep||1 minute colloquium!|
|18 Sep||Sedona Price: Practice Qual|
|25 Sep||Eve Lee: Practice Qual|
|2 Oct||Nick Kern: Galaxy Cluster Mass Estimation||Jeffrey Fung : GPU Computing|
|9 Oct||Isaac Shivvers: Another weird supernova||Tom Esposito: Planet/disk imaging|
|16 Oct||Abigail Polin: SWPS discussion on gender/diversity in the sciences||(postdoc TBA)|
|23 Oct||Daniel Lecoanet (TBA)||Howard Isaacson (TBA)|
|30 Oct||Melanie Veale: Automated Table Color-Coding Funtime N Stuff||(postdoc TBA)|
|6 Nov||Wren Suess (TBA)||Francois Foucart (TBA)|
|13 Nov||(grad student TBA)||(postdoc TBA)|
|20 Nov||Aaron Lee (TBA)||Melissa Graham (TBA)|
|4 Dec||Dyas Utomo (something cool TBA)||(postdoc TBA)|
|11 Dec||Kaylan Burleigh (TBA)||(postdoc TBA)|
Spring 2015, Fall 2014, Spring 2014, Fall 2013, Spring 2013, Fall 2012, Spring 2012, Fall 2011,
Spring 2011, Fall 2010, Spring 2010, Fall 2009, Spring 2009, Fall 2008, Spring 2008, Fall 2007,
Spring 2007, Fall 2006
Description / Motivation
- GSPS is a place where students and postdocs can practice giving talks. The topics of these talks can be anything from their own research (either completed or commencing), career advancement and advice (usually from postdocs), pedagogy talks, practice qualification exam talks, job talks, etc.
- GSPS meets weekly; we aim to have one graduate student and one postdoc talk each week.
- Talks should be no longer than 15 minutes (strictly enforced).
- Please emphasize background material for those not in your subfield.
- No faculty allowed.
- GSPS is a good place to…
- promote community between students and postdocs
- practice speaking and discussing your research
- feel comfortable asking lots of questions
- learn about topics outside your own research
- impart practical knowledge: job search, telescope allocation committees, diversity, etc.
- drink free beer, eat free snacks!
- If you would like feedback on your presentation, the organizers would be happy to take notes and discuss it with you afterwards (and/or ask other audience members to do so).
Thanks for participating in GSPS!