Table of Contents
Astro 375 / Astro 300 (Fall 2016)
This course qualifies for the GSI Teaching and Resource Center's Certificate in Teaching and Learning in Higher Education.
Class is held: Wednesdays, 6:30-8:30pm, Campbell 131
The Bootcamp is held: Monday, Aug 22 and Tuesday, Aug 23 from 2-4pm in Campbell 121
Faculty Instructor: Eugene Chiang (
Graduate Student Instructors: Carina Cheng (
email@example.com), Beth McBride (
firstname.lastname@example.org), Michael Medford (
email@example.com), Jason Wang (
- The Syllabus. Make sure you read this!
- The Electronic Big Red Binder. An important resource for GSIs. Reuse and modification of any and all of the materials in these resources is highly encouraged! So is contribution back to the EBRB of your improved materials! There is also an older physical copy (The Big Red Binder), located in the library.
- Teaching Logs. Summaries of the short teaching log prompts.
- Assignments. Summaries of all assignments for Ay375.
Ay 375 Lesson Plans
(Any lesson plans for future dates are subject to revision, but feel free to peruse if you're interested.)
|Class Number||Date||Lead||Topics||Lesson Plan Link|
|1||Aug 22||Carina/Jason||Bootcamp 1: Sample class, First day lesson plans, Board work||BootCamp Day 1|
|2||Aug 23||Carina/Jason||Bootcamp 2: Finish up board work, partner reviews of syllabus and lesson plans||BootCamp Day 2|
|3||August 31||Carina||Logistics, Section Recaps, Learning Objectives/Lesson Plans||Class 3|
|4||Sept 7||Jason||Writing Exams and Homework, Grading Rubrics||Class 4|
|5||Sept 14||Michael||Quiz Exchange, Board Work and Visuals||Class 5|
|6||Sept 21||Jason||Student Misconceptions, Demos, Midsemester Evals||Class 6|
|7||Sept 28||Beth||What is Learning?||Class 7|
|8||Oct 5||Carina||Faculty Visit Q&A, Ethics||Class 8|
|9||Oct 12||Beth||Experienced GSI Q&A, Pedagogy Readings||Class 9|
|10||Oct 19||Carina, Beth, Jason||Teaching Statements, Motivation/Mindset, Biases, Creative Teaching||Class 10|
|11||Oct 26||Michael||Teaching Statements Peer Review, Pedagogy Careers||Class 11|
|12||Nov 2||No class!|
|13||Nov 9||No class!|
|14||Nov 16||All||Last Class: Jupiter|
Ay 375-specific and general pedagogy
- GSI Basics - getting started as a GSI (some basic ground rules)
- Teaching Resources - quite extensive list of teaching resources
- TALC - information about The Astronomy Learning Center (TALC)
- Academic Honesty and Cheating Policies - information regarding both the University and Department policies
- Writing Homework Assignments - tips and suggestions for writing good homework assignments from AY 300, Fall 2008.
- Writing Quizzes and Exams - tips and suggestions for writing good quizzes and exams
- Grading Student Work - guidelines and suggestions about grading homeworks, quizzes, and exams as well as calculating grades for discussion section and overall course grades
- Writing MC and FR Questions Slides.
- Suggested Readings. Links and copies of suggested reading on teaching and pedagogy.
Cool Teaching Links
- Astronomy Education Review - Awesome e-journal on astronomy education published a couple times a year.
- NASA's Center for Astronomy Education - NASA's portal for the teaching of introductory astronomy to nonscientists. Lots of stuff, updated frequently.
- Reaching the Second Tier: Learning and Teaching Styles in College Science Education - Interesting essay on learning styles and how to improve teaching styles.
- Berkeley TEA Essays - UC Berkeley gives Teaching Effectiveness Awards yearly to GSIs who have implemented new teaching techniques in their classrooms. This page links to essays by the GSIs describing their innovations.
- Heavenly Errors - A list of >1700 astronomy misconceptions compiled by Neal F. Comins at the University of Maine.
- Melissa's Teaching Page - Melissa Graham, a postdoc in the astronomy department, has taught a similar course at the University of Victoria. Her “Ay375” page is here.
Astro C10 (Filippenko) - Harrison Agrusa, Sanyum Channa, Edward Falcon, David Khatami, Kara Kundert, Elan Lavie, Ned Molter, Benjamin Stahl, Samantha Stegman, Rachel Thorp
Astro C13 (Quataert) - Fatima Abdurrahman
Astro 120 (Duchene) - Imad Pasha, Malena Rice
Astro 250 (Bloom) - Goutam Murlidhar
Not Teaching This Semester - Kareem El-Badry, Lucy Jia
Members of Ay375 (teaching times)
C10: 121 Campbell
- Harrison Agrusa (Tu 2-3, 3-4)
- Sanyum Channa (admin)
- Edward Falcon (admin)
- David Khatami (M 9-10, Tu 9-10)
- Kara Kundert (W 9-10, 10-11)
- Elan Lavie (Tu 1-2, 4-5)
- Ned Molter (M 12-1, M 2-3)
- Benjamin Stahl (W 12-1, 1-2, Th 9-10, 10-11)
- Samantha Stegman (M 10-11, W 11-12)
- Rachel Thorp (Th 11-12, F 9-10, 12-1, 2-3)
- Fatima Abdurrahman (Tu 4-6, W 10-12, 12-2, VLSB 3002)
- Imad Pasha (Tu 6-9, Ugrad lab)
- Malena Rice (Tu 6-9, Ugrad lab)
- Goutam Murlidhar (Tu 11-12, 131 Campbell)
Not Teaching This Semester - Kareem El-Badry, Lucy Jia
GSIs doing visits but not getting visited: Kareem, Lucy, Imad, Malena, Goutam, Sanyum, Edward
- Kara visits Ben
- Ned visits Ben
- Goutam visits Rachel
- Ben visits Rachel
- Edward visits Elan
- Harrison visits Elan
- Lucy visits David
- Kareem visits David
- Malena visits Ned
- Rachel visits Ned
- David visits Kara
- Sam visits Kara
- Elan visits Harrison
- Sanyum visits Sam
- Imad visits Fatima
- Fatima visits ??
Week of 10/3:
- David: M 9-10 (Beth)
- Sam: M 10-11 (Carina)
- Ned: M 2-3 (Carina)
- Elan: Tu 1-2 (Carina)
- Harrison: Tu 3-4 (Michael)
- Kara: W 9-10 (Beth)
- Ben: Th 9-10 (Jason)
- Rachel: Th 11-12 (Jason)
Week of ??
- Fatima: Tu 4-6 (Michael)
Stuff for the instructors
Some Notes on development and from previous semesters.
- Fall 2014 (Aaron Lee)
- Fall 2013 (Aaron Lee and Francesca Fornasini)
- Fall 2012 (Jonnie Pober and Therese Jones)
- Fall 2011 (Therese Jones and Aaron Lee)
- Fall 2010 (Aaron Lee and Josh Shiode)
- Fall 2009 (Josh Shiode)
- Fall 2008 (Jeffrey Silverman and Peter Williams)
- Fall 2007 (Jeffrey Silverman and Daniel Perley)
- Fall 2006 (Holly Maness)